Friday, October 8, 2010

Captains Log: 1 Week Down

Week 1 has come to a close, and I found all the work everyone has been talking about. So far my assignments for the week are as follows:

  • Strategy 1
    • Pull 21 Ads for discussion in class
  • Intro to Copywriting
    • Start a new blog and write for at least an hour a day
    • 1 Page of body copy for each of the following using copy sins:  Triscuits, Rollerball pens, Gordon’s Fish Filets, GAIAM Yogurt
    • Pick 2 ads from CA or Archive and decide to whom is the ad targeted and what is the message
    • Pick 5 ads that are headline driven and write body copy for them
    • Pick 5 ads that are visual solutions and add a headline
    • Pick 2 adds that are visual solutions and add headline and body copy
  • Art Direction for Copywriters
    • Trace an ad with a sharpie (preferably home design, or something with heavy shape and texture elements)
      • Draw 5 versions with serious distortion to one of the elements
      • Draw 5 versions that evoke an emotional resonse
      • Draw 5 versions with unequal parts with three differnt values
      • Draw 5 versions that are heavy on pattern and texture
      • Draw 5 versions that use Point Force to an Area of Focus
      • Draw 5 versions that use Swelling Force to an Area of Focus
      • Draw 5 versions that use Rule of Thirds to an Area of Focus
      • Draw 5 versions with heavy contrast using light and dark values
As of 5:30 on Friday I still have 25 sketches and all the headline and body copy assignments to complete. Nothing worth having comes easy so I'm digging my heals in and preparing to get this knocked out.

The first week was great. Met a bunch of new people, enjoyed all my classes, and had a great Forum speaker come discuss the relationship between Developers and Creatives in the changing advertising landscape. Very interesting stuff.

Also, my schedule got a little tweak and now I only have class Monday from 9:30 - 12:30 and Tuesday from 9:30 - 9:30. It's been interesting getting myself to do work at home by myself, but so far so good.

Sorry the content wasn't perfect this week. I'll step it up a notch next time.

No comments: